Ideal for commercial sailing use, this Freiberger Drum Sextant is a traditional instrument used for celestial position navigation at sea. Favored by seafarers due to its reliability, this lightweight sextant has been made with a light metal alloy frame and has large horizon and index mirrors which are tested for optical flatness and parallelism.
The clamping device and micrometer drum are fully enclosed for protection against dirt and water spray, while the standard telescope 4×40 is adjustable for height and fitted with a protective rubber eyepieces. The optimal amount of brightness through the sextants optical light paths is controlled by means of swing in graded filters 4 for the index and 3 for the horizon mirrors.
Features of Freiberger Drum sextant include:
- Graduated arc of radius 170mm with a scale of degrees of -5 to +125 degrees measured in one degree intervals. Drum graduations are 1′. Visual interval 0.1′.
- Dimensions (sextant only) 26cm x 24cm x 13cm.
- Wooden carrying case dimensions 34cm x 32cm x 17cm.
- Weight Sextant only 1.4kg
- Weight Sextant with case 4.5kg
- Hardwood handle.
- Key for mirror adjustment.
- Test certificate.
- Operating and adjust manual
Optional Extras include:-
- Illumination device which is detachable (battery operated)
- 8 x 30 monocular telescope
- Can be supplied as a surveying sextant (for horizontal sights) and fitted with a detachable penta prism to extend the measuring range to 215 degrees.